Re: Online database....how?

From: Doug Dumitru <doug_at_modsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:35:39 GMT

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:38:45 +0200, "The Friendly One" <pyaar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I would like to know if it is possible and if yes, how to make a searchable
>database online on let's say Geocities or on local webspace provided by an
>ISP? I have heard it is not possible unless I myself am in charge of the
>server, but I thought maybe somebody out there knows more and maybe there is
>a way to do it afterall?!
>
>So please let me hear all your comments and hopefully solutions.
>
>Thanks in advance......keep on building
>
>Co.

Standard hosting services like GeoCities offer "static" web space that allow you to "publish" web content in HTML with graphics, etc. The key here is that the service is a publishing service for static web sites. If you want to publish a database, this means that you want to run an application and have this application accessible (all or in part) via a browser over the web.

This requires that you have an application environment running that users can reach over the internet. This could be:

  o A local server of yours connected to the internet full-time.   o A server in an internet datacenter that you rent.   o A virtual server in an internet datacenter that you rent.

2 and 3 are the same thing except that 3 assumes that you are not using (or paying) for an entire computer system, but just a piece of one.

The only production hosting service in the mvDBMS market that I am aware of is my company (EasyCo). We support five different mvDBMS databases on x86 Linux hardware with datacenters on both coasts. We support mvDBMS applications with user access either via the web or via terminal streams (TELNET) over the internet. All systems are securely hosted and included management of backups and other system monitoring functions.

More information is available at our web site.

    http://easyco.com

Doug Dumitru (doug@easyco.com) http://easyco.com

Easy Computing Company - Internet Hosting for mvDBMS Applications
Direct:       949 831-4774
Main Office:  888 473-7866
              610 237-2000