Re: view vs table and a developer w/o a dba

From: <5defcon5_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:19:32 GMT

A view is just SQL like anything else you write. It just hides complexity from the user. So it will still have to execute. I would work on those indexes . . . or batch the script that spits out the HTML.

In article <svbhoth9g5gb03_at_corp.supernews.com>,   mr_oatmeal <mr_oatmeal_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Reader,
>
> I am yet another rouge developer, let loose on developing and
 maintaining
> the database without a dba.
>
> Ok I was wondering if someone could give me some information to help
 me
> out...
>
> I have a web page that has five embedded sql statements. Each one
 hits
> the same table, the table has about 500,000 rows in it. (The table
 is
> already indexed.) Right now, the page takes too long to load and it
 is
> due to these queries. The query only selects five rows for each of
 the
> five categories. So, i was wondering if it would speed things up if I
> created a view to hold these 5 rows and just selecte from the view.
 Do
> you think it would be faster? Oh and how about maintaining the view
 if I
> go that route, is that a pain to update it everytime the table
 changes?

> Oh it helps, we are using Oracle 8i
>
> Thanks,
> mr_oatmeal
>
> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 24 2000 - 14:19:32 CDT