view vs table and a developer w/o a dba

From: mr_oatmeal <mr_oatmeal_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:30:05 -0000

Hello Reader,

I am yet another rouge developer, let loose on developing and maintaining the database without a dba.

Ok I was wondering if someone could give me some information to help me out...

I have a web page that has five embedded sql statements. Each one hits the same table, the table has about 500,000 rows in it. (The table is already indexed.) Right now, the page takes too long to load and it is due to these queries. The query only selects five rows for each of the five categories. So, i was wondering if it would speed things up if I created a view to hold these 5 rows and just selecte from the view. Do you think it would be faster? Oh and how about maintaining the view if I go that route, is that a pain to update it everytime the table changes?

Oh it helps, we are using Oracle 8i

Thanks,
mr_oatmeal