Re: Generating a GUID

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:23:40 -0000

My error -
Reading the manual (always a help) I see that sys_guid() is supposed to be globally unique. To paraphrase the manual: It comprises (on most platforms)

    the machine identity
    the thread/process identifier of the current thread/process     a monotonically increasing meaningless sequence number

--

Jonathan Lewis

Luca Minudel wrote in message <01c03d38$3f0c2f80$d56e1997_at_w95luca>...
In OO environments the GUID concept is quite frequent.
In OO persistence environments the GUID concept is ALWAYS present.
I find really strange that Oracle8i with it's O-R model does not provide a
way to generate it...

Anyway, how does Oracle8i manage a situation where you export a table of
objects an a table that has references to that objects and than you import
that rows in another Db (with the same schema)? How doest it assure that
OIDs from the two Db don't collide?

Luca Minudel   Consulente Informatico
luca.minudel_at_nline.it Conegliano (TV)
WWW    http://www.nline.it/consulting

Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> scritto nell'articolo
<972331077.587.0.nnrp-07.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>...