Re: Connecting to a LINUX Oracle 8i Server

From: <arothmel_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:01:29 GMT

Hmmmm, I'm not really sure what you want to get out of the boxes talking to each other. Do you just want to access the database from a remote machine? Use SQL?
In that case Telnet would be the easiest ;-)

When you say 'working with', how do you want to view/modify the data?

You can either go Client/Server and install an Oracle product on the Client or set up a Web Server.

Net8 seems to be working now. I didn't have to make any manual changes to tnsnames.ora this time.

The new setup 'OUI' is pretty slick, but I don't see any options for installing individual products like SQL*Plus on the workstation. <Hmmm...forget client/server she reminds herself>

If you really want easy: check out Portal. I'm only just discovering it, (seeing as I was only really using the PL/SQL cartridges on OAS anyway...) and would really prefer it to be on linux but alas... it's only available for NT or Solaris; hopefully you have an NT box kicking around to set up as a web server.

Have fun,
allison

BTW: I only select TCP for windoze installs. I'm out of my league speaking on networking protocols, but if it works : Þ

In article <1sQG5.1016$Qf5.94984_at_newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,   "Edward Kulbacki" <efkulbacki_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> What's the easiest way to connect a 2nd PC to a PC
> with Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition running on LINUX?
>
> Is a serial port connection the quickest and easiest using
> SLIP? What about Net8? How does Client 8i fit in with
> either of these?
>
> I'm looking for the easiest way possible to get the two PC's talking
 to each
> other, one being the user, and working with the Oracle database.
>
> Any help, or pointing me in the right direction, would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Ed Kulbacki
> EFK Consulting, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 17 2000 - 23:01:29 CDT