Re: Oracle - Free Training

From: VampireD <vampired_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 14:46:27 GMT

You will find it quite hard to learn Oracle from a book, alot of books are scattered on how much they cover. O'Reilly like I said previous I find to be the best. But even that, you got to learn SQL and DB basic concepts first. You CAN'T get around that. Then you need to get familar with Oracle and how it works. Backups, Network oracle, and SQL you can do in a test environment. Tuning is fairly difficult without real world problems and larger database than the default tables. Alot of the real dba features such as multiple instances and such cannot be done with personal oracle, personal oracle hides alot of the complexities. You can perform backup's like you can with oracle server. For SQL personal oracle is great. As well as learning a little about how oracle works.

In other words, if you go into Oracle thinking it is easy and it is just another skill to put on your resume, you will find yourself mistaken. This is NT, it is quite complex, and day to day things in itself are not complex persay. It is knowing why you are doing it and when to do it that takes all the experience and knowledge. Alot of things I found with oracle are simple persay. The language isn't hard, nor is running the server, but to do things so it is effective generally involves alot of planing and alot of research/knowledge on why.

On another note, DBA work is very rewarding, especially if you are familar with development as you can work with the developers to really make the db shine, or even write your own code.

To sum it in a phrase, You will get out of Oracle what you put into it. If you put half-ass effort into learning to do DBA, you will become an half-ass dba.

In article <39dc4113.63062720_at_news.iinet.net.au>,   mechhunter_at_rocketmail.com (Arthur) wrote:
> Hi Varghese,
>
> I myself is opting for the developer path for the reason that I LOVE
> programming - database admin to me is like - I don't know, I like it
> also but I guess developing and all wins out.
>
> I am going thru some books in Amazon and I have to tell you that in my
> opnion, you can spend (I don't know how much the currency conversion
> is) - but you can get some decent to good books on Admin with
> accomping CD that will have some samples exams questions that will
> really help you.
>
> I myself thinks that taking 'class' and all is over-rated. The cost
> of those class is most probably 10 times the cost of getting a decent
> book that you will have and all. For examples : to join up with an
> Oracle training class cost you in the region of around $7,000 whereas
> getting a book and all cost you around $200. I have just completed
> and past my PL/SQL from self study and in the past, I have been to
> Novell class that costed me my leg - if given the choice, I will op to
> get a book and work from the ground up. if yo are hard working and
> all, there is NOTHING you can't learn from reading, doing it yourself
> and asking people that you can learn from class room. Class
> environment to me is tooo static, everything is pre-trial and then you
> walk in and do your work, whereas in real, you have to do this,
> something happen and you fix it and learn from it.
>
> It's a hassel trying to configure everything you need and all if you
> are starting from scratch but I tell you what, nothing beating
> learning from your own trial and error experience and the feeling you
> get when it works, WOO HOOO!
>
> If you really have the cash and all to attaind classes and all, I will
> say get the books and don't worry about class too much, to me, they
> are over rated but that's MY opnion - I am positive other will think
> different.
>
> All the best for your future,
> Arthur
>
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 05:29:46 -0000, varghese <varghese_at_bhartient.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Thank you very much, dear Arthur. That's news to me that I can
 appear OCP
> >exam one off per month. I am sure I am not going to fail.
> >
> >Another thing I noted that I can download Oracle 8i Personal edition
 freely
> >from Oracle. Regarding domentation etc., let me start Oracle and I
 would be
> >able
> >to attend class room training later.
> >
> >I need to to do something to come out of the financial worries. I
 opted
> >for Oracle DBA. This was a dream. I was thinking about a change
 for the
> >last four year and I would like to work in USA and computer is the
 best
> >thing which can reach me to USA.
> >
> >Thank you once again for all your help. I am going to download
 Oracle 8i
> >Personal
> >edition and start learning. Think big and you will difinitely earn
 big.

> >-Varghese
> >
> >Arthur wrote:
> >>

> >> You can probably do it in 5 -6 months depending on your database
> >> background and all - you need to sit for 5 exams and killing one
 off
> >> per month (granted that you do NOT fail) it not a hard task but
> >> free - well, that's hard. You can download 8i Personal edition
 from
> >> oracle.com but as for the documents and all to learn - I doubt you
 can
> >> find them for free plastered all over the net and even if you do
 find
> >> them I will be weary of usingthem because:
> >> Those training guide are copyright and if they aren't close down by
> >> Oracle yet for breaching that, I will say they could be inaccurate.
> >> VampireD is right, you can't just learn theory of it, you HAVE to
 get
> >> down and get dirty with DBA.
> >> I myself is now looking at some books I can get to learn Oracle
 (IDG
> >> etc) cause I found out last nite that the set I have got are
> >> incomplete. When/if I find a good set for a good price, I will be
> >> more than willing to EMail you about the price and all if you like.
> >>
> >> Arthur

 within a
 6
 download free