Re: NT4.0 + IIS + WebDb

From: Alessandro Nazzani <alexnsb_at_tin.it>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:45:44 GMT

In article <39D4DC49.1DD3E63A_at_home.nl>,
  frank <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote:
> OK OK some misunderstandings... comment inline

:-)

<snip>
> > > Why have an additional listener?
> >
> > I tried to custom install WebDb excluding the listener (ONLY the
> > listener): the result was that wdbcgi.exe and the Images folder (and
> > probably some other stuff) were missing. I installed the listener
 and
> > was planning to get WebDb working with it and, after that, switch to
> > IIS.
>
> OK - so in the end just have one HTTP listener: IIS

Yes, if possible.

> > > Not quite; it's the connect string that's used; WebDB wants a
 listener to
> > > be activated. See WebDB installation notes; I think it's on
> > > http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/admin_
> > >

> > > Thta should be:
> > > http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/admin_/gateway.htm
> >
> > Not sure I understand that:
> >
> > http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/webdb.home is the connection
> > string I use on my development machine: I thought it should work on
 my
> > WebServer too, at least as long as WebDb listener is active.
>
> Here's were we go wrong: by listener above I meant the Oracle Network
> Listener,
> not ant HTTP listener (neither WebDB, nor IIS). The error message in
 the
> first post indicates WebDB attempts to open a communication channel
 (using
> Oracle Net8 over tcp/ip) to the database.
> This is what goes wrong.
> As the error message indicates, it could be:
> you (oracle) listener is not running (check Control Panel,
> Serices for Oracle TNS Listener)
> your TNS configuration is wrong: might be the connect string (aka
 alias)
> as filled in on the WebDB configuration pages.
> These *pages* are admin_/gateway and admin_/listener

I checked my settings carefully:

In the admin_/gateway page the Connect String is "plurimed.plurimedia.it" and the DAD is "WebDB" (without quotes). I went to the SQL*Plus window and issued the command "connect webdb/webdb_at_plurimed.plurimedia.it" receiving the "Connected." response. Is this enough to validate WebDB Connect String?

In the admin_/listener page I can't see nothing related to TNS and/or Connect String.

I launched Net8 Assistant: here, under Local, Service Naming, I see "extproc_connection_data.plurimedia.it" and "plurimed.plurimedia.it". Under Local, Listeners, Listener the Listening Locations are 2: address 1 TCP/IP <myserver> port 1521 and address 2 IPC key EXTPROC0.

In Control Panel, Services the OracleOraHome81 TNSListener is running.

> > http://<myserver>.<mydomain>:85/webdb/admin_/gateway.htm works but
 it
> > uses WebDb listener, doesn't it? What connection string should I
 use to
> > connect through wdbcgi listener? The example shown in the config doc
> > doesn't work: I get an HTTP Error 404 but I'm not sure about the
 EXACT
> > syntax. May be I'm missing something very basic here
> >

> Not sure what *you* mean by listener here above. AFAIK, there is no
> cgi listener - there's (probably) a virtual directory to be defined
 in IIS,
> that
> is actually linked to the executable.

I mean the service (in Control Panel, Services) named "Oracle WebDB Listener": this is the service actually processing all requests on port 85 (and should take me to WebDb home page), isn't it?

The truth is that I'm really confused when talking about SID, alias, Connect String, DAD, TNS Names, etc.! Am I hopeless?

> hth, Frank

Sure it does, thank you for your time.

Alessandro.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 03 2000 - 11:45:44 CDT