Re: Study Q1: One Database Can Have Multiple Instances?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 15:08:27 +1000

Comments below
Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message

> Dear All,
>
> The document mentions one database can have multiple instances (parallel
> server), but I have no experience of this setting, I wonder:
> 1.Why does one database need multiple instances at the same time?
So that if one Instance goes the way of all flesh, the other Instance(s) are still able to grant Users continued access to the database (it's a redundancy thing).
> 2.Will it make the implementaion very complicated?
Well, more complicated than simple single Instance designs, for sure. More expensive, too, since it rather implies you have multiple bits of hardware running the thing (ie, different Instances ought to be on different boxes).
> 3.Is parallel server specific to Unix and doesn't work for Windows NT/2K?
No, it's available for all O/Ses (as far as I know, anyway. NT definitely isn't a problem).
> 4.Can you show me an implementation example, if it is useful?
This is where I bow out. Sorry! HJR