Re: Study Q1: One Database Can Have Multiple Instances?

From: Lehmann <Spaceboy_NOoneSPAM_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:56:18 +0200

Hi

1.
Lets not get confused here!
multiple instances != parallel server (OPS) If you run OPS you have to instances on two servers, but you can also run to instances on one server. Why you ask? You might have a bunch of OLTP users which uses the same views and tables running on one instance. This would give you a high hitrate on the buffers in the SGA. Then you have some DDS users making big queries across lots of tables in a datawarehouse scenario. These queries would normally flush the buffercache which results in bad performance for the OLTP users. If thre DDS users have a instance on their own this might be best for every one. All it takes is a bit of extra memory ;-)
2.
Yes it would. Startup and shutdown would be more complicated - but we are all professionel and (should) know what we are doing, right? ;-) 3.
OPS works for all Enterprise editions

Hope these answers help you!
Lehmann