Re: Web Site Implementation with Oracle Database

From: <straysheep_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 00:01:31 GMT

Thank you very much for all your valuable suggestions.

Our core business database is actually Oracle 7.3 on HP UNIX 10. We are planning to upgrade to Oracle 8i eventually, but we need to first upgrade our UNIX system to version 11 for that to be possible. Since this is a global issue, we will still be using Oracle 7 at least until next year.

For web implementation, do you people usually use a separate database for web access and do a regular data extraction (say daily) to get data from the core business database? If that is the case, we may be able to set up a separate Oracle 8i database just for the web project for the meantime.

The skills we people currently have are only HTML, JavaScript and some CGI. We have some NT administrators and UNIX administrators. That is all. But we are willing to send our own people to get approproiate training once we have the right tools/languages decided.

We have NT and UNIX for our main business, but we have also set up a APACHE server on LINUX for the web pilot project. That means we have 3 choices for the OS of the web project.

If we are to use ColdFusion, do we still need Dreamweaver or Flash to create sophisticated and attractive web pages?

Thanks for sharing your own experience!

-S

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Sep 10 2000 - 19:01:31 CDT