Re: 10,000 queries per second: Can it be done?

From: <uqmoore_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:26:14 GMT

In article <8p8923$5bh$1_at_neptunium.btinternet.com>,   "Gary" <garygfx_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> How many unique queries are there out of the 10,000 you have each
 second?
> I'm getting my application to store the data it gets back from the
 database
> in memory for a definable period, so it works like a cache. Repeated
 queries
> come from the applications memory istead of the db. Our application
 runs up
> to 100 faster compared to hitting the db each time. I've written it
 for
> ColdFusion - you're welcome to the code but I suspect you're using
 Perl or
> something.
>
> Gary.

Thanks for your input Gary. I really like the idea of using a "cache". I'm not sure about the uniqueness of the queries yet for I just started looking into this problem.

We are using C. The last time we tested compiling a large set of data in the C source code, we terminated compilation at the two hour mark! :) Since our data could get updated frequently, we have no interest in waiting 2+ hours for updates to become available. ;-)

QM

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Sep 07 2000 - 10:26:14 CDT