Re: multilingual

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 19:40:35 +0200

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 23:51:53 -0400, "Nihat M. Gurmen" <nihat_gurmen_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I am new to oracle. I downloaded the Oracle 8i personal edition for Win98
>(SE US version) and installed. Next, I bought bunch of Oreilly books and
>managed to create a custom database from scratch with customized sql
>scripts.
>
>I selected UTF8 as the server and WE8ISO8859P9 as the NLS character set. The
>reason is that the ultimate goal is to develop the database in Turkish
>language. Anyhow, now I want to INSERT some test data into my database
>using SQL PLUS.
>How can I do that?
>
>For example my lastname is Gurmen (actually Gürmen or G\u0252rmen with
>unicode escape sequence). How can I insert this lastname into my UTF8
>database with UTF8 escape sequence. Once I insert, is it possible to select
>it from SQL PLUS and display it correctly.
>
>Actually, the unicode character \u0252 is not a problem because WE8ISO8859P1
>has this character as well. But Turkish has characters like \u0240, \u0208,
>etc.
>Can SQL PLUS display these characters as well. Is there a way of selecting
>the character set for it.
>
>As seen, I am much in dark when comes to internationalization and use of a
>multilingual database. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks.

The Oracle Server Administrators Guide should have a seperate appendix on NLS support.
AFAIK to use the NLS charset you need to define your column as NVARCHAR2 (as opposed to VARCHAR2)
and insert into foo values ( N'Gürmen'). Display should be taken care of automatically. However, you do need to verfiy the setting of NLS_LANG in HKLM\software\oracle, which should have then .WE8ISO8859P1.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Sep 03 2000 - 12:40:35 CDT