multilingual

From: Nihat M. Gurmen <nihat_gurmen_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 23:51:53 -0400

Hello all,

I am new to oracle. I downloaded the Oracle 8i personal edition for Win98 (SE US version) and installed. Next, I bought bunch of Oreilly books and managed to create a custom database from scratch with customized sql scripts.

I selected UTF8 as the server and WE8ISO8859P9 as the NLS character set. The reason is that the ultimate goal is to develop the database in Turkish language. Anyhow, now I want to INSERT some test data into my database using SQL PLUS.
How can I do that?

For example my lastname is Gurmen (actually Gürmen or G\u0252rmen with unicode escape sequence). How can I insert this lastname into my UTF8 database with UTF8 escape sequence. Once I insert, is it possible to select it from SQL PLUS and display it correctly.

Actually, the unicode character \u0252 is not a problem because WE8ISO8859P1 has this character as well. But Turkish has characters like \u0240, \u0208, etc.
Can SQL PLUS display these characters as well. Is there a way of selecting the character set for it.

As seen, I am much in dark when comes to internationalization and use of a multilingual database. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Nihat M. Gurmen
nihat_gurmen_at_hotmail.com