Re: Most suitable data type

From: Gary <garygfx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:23:16 +0100

Steve_at_e-DBA <steve.taylor_at_e-dba.net> wrote in message news:8oo7dq$na6$1_at_nntp.mistral.co.uk...
> You could use a CLOB, in which you can store up to 4Gig. These are not
 the
> easiest of datatypes to use if you are not familiar with Oracle.

Can CLOBs be queried like this?:

select article from table1
where lower(article) like '%elephant%'
order by lower(article)

You say they're not easy to use, could you give an example why that is please? I'm having the same problems as Simon deciding which datatype to use, and 4000 chars will be a little tight now and then.

Thanks,
Gary. Received on Sat Sep 02 2000 - 03:23:16 CDT