Re: Most suitable data type

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 09:35:25 +0800

Gary wrote:

> Steve_at_e-DBA <steve.taylor_at_e-dba.net> wrote in message
> > You could use a CLOB, in which you can store up to 4Gig. These are not
 the
> > easiest of datatypes to use if you are not familiar with Oracle.
>
> Can CLOBs be queried like this?:
>
> select article from table1
> where lower(article) like '%elephant%'
> order by lower(article)
>
> You say they're not easy to use, could you give an example why that is
> please? I'm having the same problems as Simon deciding which datatype to
> use, and 4000 chars will be a little tight now and then.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary.

All your access to clobs is typically through the DBMS_LOB package. You can read about that at
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76936/dbms_lob.htm#998100

You need to register (but its free)

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse