Re: Most suitable data type

From: Michael <michael.lorrimore_at_e-dba.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:10:15 +0100

Simon

My understanding of LONG data types is that you are unable to query them through Select statement clauses WHERE etc. You may be able to use a VARCHAR2 data type which is platform dependent on size so depending upon the operating system you may be able to go to 4000 charaters. The alternative is how ever to use BLOB which has several advantages over LONG. The first being that it store the object seprately and uses a pointer in the column. You still have the same problem with running queries against Blobs. If you are using a thrid party application to you your queries then you need to check to see if this will recongise LONG or BLOB as som apps will only work with the LONG data type.

If the majority of your memos are within a couple of hundred carachters then you can easily get away with the VARCHAR2 data type. If however you are going to have a number of very large memos then you will probably be better off with the BLOB datatype.

Michael.