Re: WebDB: Pass parameters between Dynamic Pages?

From: <paul_fountain_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:33:58 GMT

Hi Dave,
I haven't done a lot with WebDB 3 yet but I have used 2.2 a bit. The way you are passing the variables appended to the URL looks fine to me. I'm wondering whether the start of the URL is formed right. Try calling a static page you've created without appending any variables to the URL to test that you are calling the right package and you are logged in as the right user. As everything with WebDB is stored inside the database you have to have the appropriate priveleges set up in the site management section. I think you would have got an error message indicating this if that was the problem but it is worth mentioning.

One thing I've done a bit of is used stored procedures and the PL/SQL Webtoolkit to produce dynamic pages It defeats the purpose of webdb a bit but if you are building serious applications with it you will have to do this at some point. By using this you can call procedures and pass them parameters all in PL/SQL. You can create the static bits as HTML then use stored procedures to render the dynamic bits by putting a procedure call between the <ORACLE></ORACLE> tags in a Similar sort of way you might do it in server side scripting such as ASP or Cold Fusion. Probably not as clear as you'd like it to be but I hope it helps.

Paul

In article <LKzp5.32357$Mt4.2481153_at_sol.newscene.com>,   "Dave" <fornalskyd_at_mediaone.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build a web site using the beta version of WebDB 3.0. I
 can't
> figure out how to pass parameters between dynamic pages.
>
> For example, I build a dynamic page that displays a navigation menu.
 The
> menu has several HTML <A> links on it to call another dynamic page:
>
> <A HREF="oracle_portal.display_page_proc?p_nav_b=1">Click Here</A>
>
> I've also tried:
>
> <A

HREF="oracle_portal.display_page_proc?p_arg_names=p_nav_b&p_arg_values=1 ">Cl
> ick Here</A>
>
> Neither works. I can't figure out how to recieve and display the value
 in
> the
> p_nav_b parameter that I pass in the link to the procedure
> display_page_proc.
>
> Any ideas? How, from an HTML link on one dynamic page, can I properly
> pass and recieve a parameter to another dynamic page? Thanks for any
 help!

> - Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 29 2000 - 19:33:58 CDT