Re: Help with TNS problem.

From: Jim Gregory <JG200024_at_NCR.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:23:26 -0400

Really need more info with exact error number but it sounds like the service name in your local tnsnames is ok but, for some reason, you cannot connect to the remote database. It could be the listener on the remote system is down or now is not listening for the DB you're trying to connect to.

Try a Unix ping to the remote box to verify it is reachable by your local connection. If so then try tnsping from your local box to the remote to see if it sees the remote box.

I'm assuming you are using tnsnames and not ORACLE names to connect to the remote server.

HTH

--
Jim Gregory
Principal Consultant for Keane, Inc.