Re: CONNECT SYSTEM/MANAGER AS SYSDBA does not work.

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/29

<the_clansman_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8lpsnb$sj5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> I installed Oracle 8.05 on a NT4 Server.
> the SVGMRG30 command: CONNECT SYSTEM/MANAGER AS SYSDBA does not work.
> Why?

Because SYSTEM is not, never has been, and never will be a Privileged User -ie, one who is capable of undertaking the privileged actions associated with the SYSDBA system privilege (basically, a privileged user is one who is capable of starting up, shutting down, recovering and creating a database).

Details of who is a privileged user are either stored in a password file, or are derived for normal domain operating system groups (ie, on NT you'd have to say that user 'howardjr' was a member of the ORA_DBA local group).

The presence of the magic words 'as sysdba' in your connect string forces Oracle to look in one of these two places to see whether 'SYSTEM' actually has the SYSDBA privileges -which won't be the case.

"Conect system/manager" on its own would work. But if you want to perform privileged actions, then you'd have to enter "connect sys/password as sysdba". The default password for sys as a privileged user is 'oracle'.

You will get recommendations aplenty here to 'connect internal' -that's just a shortcut way of connecting as sys, with sysdba privileges -and it's a typically Oracle 7 way of doing things. The Internal method has been scheduled by Oracle for removal from future Oracle releases (though it's still there in 8.1.5 and 8.1.6), so I'd get in the habit early on of doing the proper 'connect x/y as sysdba' sort of entry.

Hope that is of some use to you.

Regards
HJR