Re: Oracle Certification Questions

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 2000/07/27

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:10:56 -0700, "Kelly Tobias" <reactive_at_brunnet.net> wrote:

>My question is will there
>be any 'trick' questions that
>might draw answers from areas outside these two books?

It's possible that you'll get a queston not directly covered in the books. To my knowledge, Oracle does not give out copies of all the questions to book authors, so I don't know how they could be 100% certain that they've covered every possible question. However, if you've read two books and done a lot of practicing on your own, then you should be in good shape.

As far as 'trick' questions go, I don't recall any from when I took the exams. These are of course, multiple choice exams, and the test authors do try to make the wrong answers look plausible.

>Would anyone have any pre-study tips they may offer me - I'm rather nervous.
>I know the material but I'm not sure what to expect from the exam.

Just try it. You'll never feel quite "ready", but you just have to plunge in and give it a try. Worst case is that you'll fail. But if you fail, you'll know which areas you did poorly in, you'll know what the questions are like, and you can try again in 30 days.

When I took the performance tuning exam, I took it once without studying. Failed it. Studied and practiced a lot. Took it again, and passed it. Since I took the first exam at OpenWorld for the discounted price of $30, it was actually cheaper for me to just give it a try than it would have been to buy all the study guides. I just think of "failing" as another study technique<grin>.

Good luck!

BTW, you asked about the Oracle job market. I don't know what it's like for new DBAs, but I sure have been getting a lot of emails, phone calls, and even one snail mail letter from recrutiers lately.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Thu Jul 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT