Re: Help for ORA 1157 Error Message

From: Ken <shihlo_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/07/17

ORA 01157 "cannot identify data file %s - file not found"

// *Cause:  The background process was not able to find one of the data files.
//         The database will prohibit access to this file but other files will
//         be unaffected. However the first instance to open the database will
//         need to access all online data files. Accompanying error from the
//         operating system describes why file was not found.
// *Action: Have operating system make file available to database. Then either
//         open the database or do ALTER SYSTEM CHECK DATAFILES.

ORA 01034 "ORACLE not available"

// *Cause: Oracle was not started up. Possible causes include the following:
//         - The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.
//         - The operating-system variable pointing to the instance is
//           improperly defined.
// *Action: Refer to accompanying messages for possible causes and correct
//          the problem mentioned in the other messages.
//          If Oracle has been initialized, then on some operating systems,
//          verify that Oracle was linked correctly. See the platform
//          specific Oracle documentation.