Re: Moving DB-Instance to another HD-Drive

From: Thomas Schwickert <thomas.schwickert_at_itellium.com>
Date: 2000/07/10

Hi Michael,

do the following:
shut down the instance

move the datafiles,redofiles,controlfiles to the new location

Change the location of the controlfiles in init.ora, and don't forget the location of the ARVCHIVED_LOGS, and the other pathes .

In svrmgrl:
startup mount (in this phase just the controlfile will be read)

Now rename the files :

alter database rename file '/old_file_location/system01.dbf'
               to          '/new_file_location/system01.dbf';
alter database rename file '/old_file_location/rbs01.dbf'
               to          '/new_file_location/rbs01.dbf';

Do this for all datafiles.

Also change the redologfile location:
alter database rename file '/old_file_location/redo01.dbf'

               to '/new_file_location/redo01.dbf';

Now:
alter database open;

(If running under WinNT change all the '/' with '\' and the right drive letter...)

That's it ...

If running under WinNT, you could try to move all to the new disk, remove the old disk, and if the new disk drive letter is the same as the old one, and your database base system was untouched (on the 8Gig drive) it should work too ...

However, make a backup before proceeding ...

Hth
 Thomas
Ps: Grüsse in die Palz :-)

In article <8kcj2n$jfv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   mdaenzer_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm the admin for the Oracle-Server in my company, but I' dont
> have any big knowledge about Oracle. That's why I ask the
> question here in the NG.
>
> The problem is, that I had to insert an additional new 20GB-HD (there
> are yet one 6GB and one 8.5GB HD's) into the Server. Now, I would like
> to transfer the data from the 6GB-HD to the new HD, because then I can
> use this HD for another Workstation.
>
> Wich steps do I have to do? Is it enough, if I change the pathes of
 the
> tablespaces, datafiles... in the StorageManager or are there another
> tasks to do?
>
> thanks and regards
> Michael Dänzer
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Thomas Schwickert               Phone: +49 69 - 404 8093
Itellium System & Services GmbH Fax:   +49 69 - 404 5561
60386 Frankfurt
Germany