Re: exp file format / functionality blues

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/06/29

Your post contains strong accusations. Do you really think if that was the general feeling, Oracle wouldn't have changed the functionality? Exp and imp exist because there is a need to be able to make a logical *backup* of (part of ) the database. This makes it necessary to ascertain the dump file will import in to the database, so ruling out any edits of the dmp file.
If you need an ascii dump of one or more tables, you can dump them using sqlplus (see http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte for a tool using sqlplus) and load them using sqlloader.

As to your questions:
1 You can do that in either one of two ways a) run the imp command with show=y log=y logfile=<filename>, which will dump all create table commands to a file, or use Toad (www.toadsoft.com) to generate a file with create table commands. Edit that file and precreate all your tables.
b) make sure the receiving user has the correct new (default) tablespace, doesn't have unlimited tablespace privilege and has quota on the correct tablespace only.
So

2
The ALTER TABLE command has been provided for structure changes. Generally speaking you shouldn't need to drop and create your tables. In exceptional cases (when you need to reduce column lengths) you can copy your data to a temporary table, truncate the old table, alter it, and insert your data back into the changed table.
The exp/imp will not work, as exp/imp has been designed to generate logical backups, which will fail if the structure has changed.

Personally I find it questionable design when Oracle would have enabled the Oracle community to hack around in a dump file. I consider people who are willing to do it, or actually doing it, as dangerous to any database.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA