exp file format / functionality blues

From: Jan Kim <kim_at_jupiter.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de>
Date: 2000/06/29

Dear Oraclers,

after being responsible for administering and developing an Oracle based database, I find myself getting the blues whenever I think of the ``exp'' and ``imp'' programs. Perhaps, I use these programs inadequately, or I overlook obvious things. At this point, however, my impression is that I've run into a field which is somewhat less than optimally supported by Oracle. At any rate, I'd like your opinion. I have Oracle 8.0.5 running under Compaq Tru64 OSF/1 4.0e (the platform formerly known as DEC Alpha).

The central problem for me is that ``exp'' produces non-text, "binary" output. This makes it effectively impossible to solve problems by simply editing the *.dmp files created by ``exp''.

The main problems which I cannot seem to solve are:

So, has anyone here come across these troubles too? Are there other ways to do the things I'd like to do?

Personally, I consider it a questionable design that ``exp'' generates files that cannot be processed with a standard text editor.

Greetinx & thanx in advance, Jan

 |             email: kim_at_mpiz-koeln.mpg.de                           |
 |             WWW:   http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~kim/              |