Forms runtime 16bit to 32 bit migration and search paths

From: Sarah Coleman <sarahacoleman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/06/25

Hi,

I am not an Oracle DBA but a support engineer who installs the client software so please excuse my ignorance of Oracle. I have a query regarding upgrading our Forms Runtime applications from 16 bit Forms Runtime version 4.5.7.8.0 to the 32 bit version 4.5.7.1.6.

My problem is how to migrate our current 16 bit Forms Runtime test environment to 32 bit. Currently we allow developers/users to carry out different levels of testing by manipulating the oracle.ini to change the forms search path eg to carry out Level A testing (using f45run) the forms45_path variable in oracle.ini would be changed to i:\dira when the user runs the Level A Test icon, to carry out Level B testing the forms45_path variable in oracle.ini would be changed to i:\dirb when the user runs the Level B Test icon. The user can carry out Level A testing and Level B testing at the same time as the oracle.ini is only referenced the first time f45run starts.

How do I do this with 32 bit Forms45 which uses the registry and not oracle.ini. I can manipulate the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\FORMS45_PATH key in the registry with the appropriate forms path each time the user runs the appropriate test icon but it would seem that the registry is referenced continuously rather than when f45run first starts. So, for example, if the user runs Level A Test icon the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\FORMS45_PATH is set to i:\dira, the user then runs Level B Test icon (while the Level A Test f45run session is still running) the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\FORMS45_PATH is set to i:\dirb however the path has now changed to i:\dirb for the Level A Test f45run session.

Is it possible to achieve what we do in 16 bit under 32 bit? i.e. have multiple f45run sessions open using different forms45 search paths. What is the best way to manipulate forms45_path settings within the registry - should it be done at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE level or can I use multiple oracle homes and do it at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME? level?.

All advice gratefully received,

Thanks,

Sarah Coleman. Received on Sun Jun 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT