Re: Ora's version of SQL Server's "dynamic cursor"?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/23

Oracle does not support this function. And IMO, this is the way that it should be. Microsoft has gone to great lengths to support transaction models that the rest of the industry has discarded. Your example is another idea where one can run into major troubles with transaction consistency. For instance, you open a cursor. You then perform a calculation based on the values returned near the beginning of that cursor. You have stepped through the cursor to somewhere towards the end. Another user makes changes to the database before you are finished. Now what happens? The changes you made may not be valid anymore based on the new values. Do you redo your changes? Do you accept these old values? A can of worms has been opened due to the poor transaction consistency of the application (and the DBMS).

Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
Brian

cauchic_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm used to accessing SQL Server from Delphi, and now am connecting to
> Oracle in my latest project. In SQL Server I can obtain a result set
> that is aware of inserts, updates and deletes by other users (a dynamic
> cursor). Does Oracle have any method to accomplish this, or is it simply
> necessary to Refresh constantly? I can find nothing about different
> cursor types in the docs, I've dug down all the way to OCI and can see
> othing. Hoping to use Direct Oracle Access, but without this feature I
> have a problem.
>
> Chris Cauchi
> Chris.Cauchi_at_autodata.net
> Autodata Solutions Company