Re: Password management in Oracle 8

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/23

All of this is possible with Oracle 8 and higher. You will need to set up a profile which has all the settings you want and then assign that profile to the user(s). For example:

  CREATE PROFILE user_profile
  LIMIT
  PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME 90
  FAILED_LOGIN_ATTEMPTS 3

  PASSWORD_LOCK_TIME unlimited
  PASSWORD_REUSE_MAX 2
  PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION pswd_verify;

  ALTER USER username PROFILE user_profile;

> 1. Is there any setting to disable a user account if the user has
> repeated login failure? e.g., disable the account if 3 continuous fails?

My above example will lock the user's account after 3 failed login attempts. When the account is locked, it is locked for the PASSWORD_LOCK_TIME amount of time. Meaning you can determine how long the user must wait before attempting to log in again if their account was locked due to failed login attempts. In my example, the account will be locked until the DBA manually unlocks the account.

> 2. Do Oracle keep any password history? We want to know the 3 previous
> password. At least, we want to prevent the user change the password to
> the original one.

In my example, Oracle will keep track of the last two passwords (PASSWORD_REUSE_MAX) and will not let the user change their password to one of these passwords.

You can also supply your own password verification function (pswd_verify in my example). For instance, you may want the passwords to be at least 6 characters but no more than 10, and contain a number, but not the first character. You can write the PL/SQL function yourself. By adding that function to the profile (PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION) you can force the users to conform to standards you have set up.

There is lots more on this subject and you'll probably want to refer to the Oracle documentation.

> Or these should be done by the frontend application?

If you are on Oracle 7, then you'll have to code this in your appl. If you are in Oracle 8 or 8i, then you can let Oracle handle it for you.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at