Re: Advice for newbie getting into DBA admin.

From: <sbenitez_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/22

I'd also look into Oracle Apps, especially in the Financials area. With a finance background you should have no problems picking up the business aspect of the job. And from what I've seen, there is a definate shortage of Oracle Apps DBA's and SA's.

Get a copy of personal Oracle 8i and start breaking it. If you can get your hands on OEM, use it to start and keep the SQL syntax turned on. This will give you a graphical interface to do DBA work and at the same time show you the command line syntax.

The first book I would read, before anything else, would be the Concepts manual.

Scott

In article <8im2hf$3vj$1_at_slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,   <dknite_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently decided that I want to become an oracle dba.
> I have been in accounting for most of my career and want to make the
 switch
> to the tech side. I have worked briefly at by old job doing some
 system
> admin. I think that our system was using Oracle 7.03 in top of a
 unix box.

> I want to do some study at home to see if I really like this or not.
 Can
> anyone suggest which version of oracle to start on Oracle8 or Oracle
 8i and
> what version of unix I should use. I know that there are about 6
 flavors of
> unix out there. I want to set up my own database at home and try and
 learn
> from there before I spend thousands of smackers going to oracle class.
>
> Most appreciated
> David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jun 22 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT