Oracle Help!

From: christy <kisstene_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/06/05

Hello All,

I am new to the scene, and i need to know a little background information about Oracle. I am an Unix Administrator by nature, who has been considering crossing over to DBA work. I need a little background information before I decide to take the position.

  1. What are the daily tasks of a DBA? (please be detailed)
  2. How may instances does an average DBA administer? How large are the databases?
  3. Is it more common to use 3d party tools to create scripts for tuning & backup purposes and if so, which 3 party tools? (does that go for creating objects - procedures, triggers, users... too?)
    • Please feel free to include any other useful information for me. Thanks for your help :)