Intermedia: How to give newer stories a higher score?

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: 2000/06/03

Hi,

I have a table full of news stories, and I am implementing a search of them. I want the final ranking of all documents to take the age of the document into account. So far, I have this query:

select id, title, body, story_date, thumb_fname,

                            score(1) score1, score(2) score2, score(3)
score3, score(1) + score(2) +score(3) total from story where contains( keywords, 'liverpool', 1 ) > 0
                            or contains( title, 'liverpool', 2 ) > 0
                            or contains( body, 'liverpool', 3 ) > 0
order by total desc

 ...which just tots up the total score from three fields and ranks them according to that. I will be assigining a relevancy value to ewach of these fields so I can juggle with how important each field's score is, eg I might make total = (score1*0.5) + (score2*0.3) + (score3*0.2), etc.

I also need to weight their ranking according to the age of the news story. In fact the age of the story will be one of the most important weighting criteria. story_date is stored as a Unix timestamp.

Any ideas how I could achieve this? I am working on a solution, but nothing seems satisfactory so far. Does InterMedia have this capability builtin somehow (I didn't find it in the docs)? Am I missing something simple?

thanks,