Re: how do you start an instance with root privilege?

From: Peter Falson <pfalson_at_mail.com>
Date: 2000/05/30

I'm not an expert but I think I know what's going on here.

At some point - possibly 8.0.5 - (I only started using Oracle at 8.0.4 so others would be able to answer better) they changed the startup such that the user must have the same group as the Oracle dba_group which root doesn't (usually) have.

You should be able to run "dbstart" which should be configured to su to the appropriate oracle user (though I have found that sometimes these scripts are a bit out of date and need slight mods). Received on Tue May 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT