how do you start an instance with root privilege?

From: <throne7_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/30

Hello all, could someone please tell me how I can start an oracle instance if all I have is root privilege and the name of the ORACLE_SID ? Normally we have to call the database group and wait a day for them to get back to us everytime we need to reboot our HP9000. The the guys who need access to oracle start yelling at us. I mean come on I remember once a while ago I was able to use root to su to oracle and connect internal to then create new oracle accounts with dbadmin privileges how tough is it then to bring up an instance and create database. I can probably read the manual and do all this but I don't currently deal with dbadmin as much, the only time when I really use oracle is when I write pro*c programs. So I don't really remember all the details about day to day oracle admin. Thanks folkz.

--
What signature?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.