Re: Listener fails to start. (NT 4, Ora 8.1.5)

From: <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/25

The Net8 documentation on the support notes CD contains detail on the command line parameters for LSNRCTL, but nothing about error codes such as "Failed to start service, error 0."

Also, the listener trace and logs files are NOT written to in this situation, even when "TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = SUPPORT" or "TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN". No help there.

I did find that if I wait about 5 minutes, LSNRCTL will return with and ORA-12560 error. I now wonder if someone made a network config change that did not take effect until the machine was rebooted to "fix" the mouse problem ?

So, I suppose I need to reword my question to:

What do I do when the listener fails to start because of an ORA-12560 error ?

Thanks,
Rock.

In article <959282696.3410.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

> <rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 8gjrn5$l7h$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a development server (Oracle 8.1.5) running on NT 4.0 sp5
 that
> > has worked great for the last 5 months. An hour or so ago, we had to
> > reboot it because of a minor mouse problem, but the listener failed
> > start (the instance DID start).
> >
> > From the command line, I typed
> >
> > LSNRCTL START
> >
> > Result:
> >
> > Failed to start service, error 0.
> >
> > At that point the listener control program (LSNRCTL.EXE) halts, and
> > Ctrl-C is required to get the command prompt back.
> >
> > It is not at all clear whether the (content free) error
 message "Failed
> > to start service, error 0." is coming from NT or from LSNRCTL.EXE.
> > Also, I have not been able to find any documentation for the
 listener
> > control program (LSNRCTL.EXE).
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rock.
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>
> Also, I have not been able to find any documentation for the listener
> > control program (LSNRCTL.EXE).
> Are you serious? Did you search? How about the Net8 documentation?
>
> Please refer to the listener.log file in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\log or
 the
> trace file in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\trace for further details on the
 error.

> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu May 25 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT