Re: Tablespace storage parameters

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/05/23

One of the "problems" that can occur with smaller disk files can occur when creating objects. If you have a 500M tablespace comprised of only one disk file, then you can create a table with an initial extents of 250M. If your 500M tablespace is comprised of 10 - 50M files, then you can never create an initial extent of more than 50M. This might be of consideration to you.

HTH,
Brian

James Chappell wrote:

> What is the consequence of choosing particular values for the initial
> and next extents when creating a datafile for a tablespace.
>
> If I want to create a tablespace of (say) 500M would it be better to
> have several smaller files, or one large one?
>
> I'm using Oracel8 on NT
> --
> James Chappell

Brian Peasland