Re: Tablespace storage parameters

From: MyTwoBits <nighr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/05/25

Until your tablespaces are larger than 2GB, it's more a pain in the ass to keep track of small data files. There are known bugs for some versions of Oracle when datafiles approach or exceed 4GB. I have a standard on my systems that no data file is larger than 2000 MB. My Unix servers have 9GB as their smallest disks. My NT servers have 36 GB disks. On Unix I mainly use raw partitions and RAID 0 (no striping). I have individual tables that are several GB each. If your objects are in the 100k range I wouldn't spend the time with multiple data files. At 500M, you could create your SGA large enough to hold your whole tablespace in memory!