Re: OCP Exams

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/16

In article <392142CA.F48A6C50_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> I completed the OCP DBA exams. For me, they were well worth the time
 and
> money spent. I can't stress that enough. In the course of studying, I
> learned many things that would have taken me years to learn "on the
> job". In your daily work, you do not get a chance to see the many
> aspects of Oracle databases. By studying for the exams, you are forced
> to fill in the gaps in your knowledge. This has helped tremendously.
 The
> exams are worth it for this reason if nothing else.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> mc59028_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone done the OCP DBA exams? Are they worth doing? Has the
> > certification helped at all/not at all? I am considering pushing
 to go
> > for this.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > M.

Brian gave the true best reason for taking the examinations, what you learn in the process. You asked it certification helped? My question is helped at what? What is it you are trying to accomplish by obtaining certification?

I am not sure how much weight certification carries in the job market. Right now, I do not think it is an important factor as the demand for Oracle DBA's and Developers is pretty strong so I think certification pails compared to experience. It might help in being a deciding factor for an employer choosing between candidates and being certified might help get you the interview if your resume is not impressive in itself. When the demand for Oracle talent weakens then being certified may become more important in finding work.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.