Re: Experiences with T.O.A.D.?

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: 2000/05/10

It's awesome! Has a free version (at http://www.toadsoft.com) but you can get useful modules like SQL Tuning and debugging if you buy the package from Quest Software. I've been involved in several large PL/SQL and Oracle DBA tool evaluations. Our initial findings 2 years ago were SQL-Station from Platinum. That is no longer the case since CA took them over. We now rely heavily on TOAD. I occasionally dip into SQL-Station 'cause it reverse engineers stuff from Oracle 8 and 8i better, and it has a better code editor. But both of these can be overcome with another tool or little more effort in TOAD. TOAD does have some lightweight DBA stuff in it. Quest has some great DBA tools, but they're super expensive (worth it if you've got the dough). We currently use and recommend DBArtisan and ERStudio from Embarcadero for DBA and data modeling activities. Nothing can beat TOAD though in numerous categories. Go for it.

Cheers,
- bill coulam