Inserting a multi-line string into a table?

From: Gamma <gamma_at_clark.net>
Date: 2000/05/05

I have a test table:

  create table t (s VARCHAR2(2000));

In SQL*Plus, it's proving impossible (SFAIK) to insert passages of text into t that contain blank lines. SQL*Plus stores the buffer and blips back to the command line when I hit -Enter- twice. I could probably eventually get this string in via some fancy editing, except that human interaction with SQL*Plus will not always be an option (I'd like to do this via @foo.sql). I've scoured the online docs and two reference manuals, with no luck.

Oh, and just in case anyone is wondering, the string could conceivably contain an ASCII picture which requires blank lines. (I.e., this isn't straight text where I could just take out all of the newlines.)

Does anyone know of a way to embed newlines in a string that will solve this problem?

Thanks for any help.

--

Paul Brinkley
gamma_at_clark.net