Re: Can I call myself an Oracle DBA??!

From: K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: 2000/04/18

Jonathan Gennick wrote:

> If you are "the man who looks after the Oracle systems",
> then you are the DBA, and you certainly could call yourself
> that. But be careful when you leap to another job that you
> are cognizant of how the new environment compares to your
> current environment. For example, if do cold backups in your
> current environment, but are moving to a 7x24 shop, then you
> should study up on archiving and all that goes along with
> it. Your ability to quickly resolve performance problems may
> be more critical in an environment where your database grows
> and changes quickly, as opposed to a more stable situation.
>
> Don't be too intimidated by database size. The big ones
> start and stop the same way as the small ones<g>. On the
> other hand, be aware that size can sometimes exacerbate
> problems. If I make a mistake in the placement of a 2 gig
> table, it takes longer to fix than if the table was only 2
> meg.

I'll second that. A person does not have to be an expert in all areas of doing dba work to be considered a DBA. It is nice, however, to have resources that can use when there is a need to do things that are currently outside the range of personal experience. I probably have several hundreds of dollars invested in books that I can consult when I need to perform some operation that I haven't handled before. Received on Tue Apr 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT