Re: Can I call myself an Oracle DBA??!

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: 2000/04/17

If you are "the man who looks after the Oracle systems", then you are the DBA, and you certainly could call yourself that. But be careful when you leap to another job that you are cognizant of how the new environment compares to your current environment. For example, if do cold backups in your current environment, but are moving to a 7x24 shop, then you should study up on archiving and all that goes along with it. Your ability to quickly resolve performance problems may be more critical in an environment where your database grows and changes quickly, as opposed to a more stable situation.

Don't be too intimidated by database size. The big ones start and stop the same way as the small ones<g>. On the other hand, be aware that size can sometimes exacerbate problems. If I make a mistake in the placement of a 2 gig table, it takes longer to fix than if the table was only 2 meg.

To put all my advice into two sentences:

Look for a new position that is somewhat more "intense" than your current position, but don't oversell yourself.

Look into Oracle certification. That at least establishes that you have a baseline of knowledge.

Oh, one last thing. A healthy degree of skepticism about what you can do is a good thing. I once had a two sys admins push me pretty hard to move a new database onto raw devices. I resisted because at the time I had no experience w/db files on raw devices, and the schedule was very time critical. Better not to experiment on the new production system<g>. I'd rather work with a DBA who would approach a new task cautiously than one who would just blunder into it.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan