Re: Learning oracle question

From: Karl Hewlett <fake_address_at_auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 2000/04/15

Learn SQL, practice SQL, live SQL, breathe SQL ....

Try for a job in, for example, a marketing dept using your MBA and Oracle skills to, for example, query a database of customers to create direct marketing lists. While doing this read the Oracle docos, Oracle books, etc.

Consider Oracle Certified Profession - it shows comittment if nothing else. Of course the sting here is the OCP course is very difficult to do as theory only - it is intended for practicing database people.

I have been through a similar path. In my experience the first couple of years of saying I wished to be an Oracle DBA was greeted with sceptisism and brush-offs. Quite recently the situation changed considerably and I now have employment consultants approaching me. As Oracle is a complicated beast to come to terms with first off this sort of makes sense. Even though it does of course make it very hard to break into the industry.

As an aside I believe all software tools display one of 2 traits / require one of 2 learning curves. They either start out simple for a simple task and become _very_ complicated for a complicated task (e.g. Access) or start out complicated and never get any more so (e.g. Oracle) . This means with something like Oracle the steepest part of the learning curve is the first part. Once you are over that hump expect to contiue reading the docos, encountering problems, etc but it gets much easier.

Good luck
Karl

Someone <someonehereNOSPAMJAM_at_mac.com> wrote in message news:someonehereNOSPAMJAM-54CFB9.15252114042000_at_news.mw.mediaone.net...
> I took one of these oracle classes a while back.
> It covered Oracle Developer, Designer, SQL, touched on VB and Unix.
> Obviously it was a brief overview of the area of oracle.
> I was misguided to believe it would help me get a career in the field

<snip>

> So now that I have this slight background on oracle, what would help me
> getting a job?

<snip> Received on Sat Apr 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT