Re: Learning oracle question

From: bob sullivan <bsullivn_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/04/15

Karl's assessment seems very on-target to me. It can be difficult and more than a bit daunting when you're trying to break into the Oracle field, but once you're in, there's great demand. It seems like for junior positions, most employers want at least 2 years of experience with Oracle, but how do you break in in the first place to get the 2 years? Catch-22.

If you're considering a choice in career paths between database stuff and network stuff, you should ask yourself the question: which do you enjoy more? It seems to me that both paths demand that you enjoy solving problems, or at least can live with solving problems 40+ hours a week. (If you absolutely *hate* solving technical problems, you really want to think about doing something else for a living...) To be honest, when I was pursuing my bachelor's degree in computer science, I spent the first three years of it wondering why the heck I was doing it--all the programming was in C++, and I really didn't enjoy it at all. It wasn't until I started studying relational databases that I discovered an area of computer science that I really loved and enjoyed.

All of this is rather a roundabout way of saying: if you enjoyed in your studies the network stuff more than the database stuff, go for the network certification. If you enjoyed the database stuff more, follow Karl's advice.

Two cents poorer,
bob
Lowly Oracle Apps programmer ;)