database link with oracle8 when there is a global database name!

From: Ben Heuer <queerczarNOquSPAM_at_unforgettable.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/04/14

hello all,

i have been rooting my hair with this one.

ok, until now, whenever i wanted to create a database link between 2 instances, i would use the service name of the connectto  database as the USING parameter.

for example, lets say i have two databases:

db1
db2

my tnsnames.ora looks like this:

db1 {blah blah...SID=db1serv}
db2 (blah blah...SID=db2serv}

so the service names of the 2 databases are db1, db2 respectively. the SID names of both the databases are db1serv and dbserv2 respectively.

now i want to create a link from db1 to db2. here is what i use:

create public database link my_link
connect to username identified by password using 'db2serv2'

this has worked for me in the past, but now i keep getting ORA- 02085 errors (database link name should be the same as the database name!!!

why?

after some investigation i found that the one main difference between all my previous instances (where i created database links successfully) and the new instances (where i am having problems) is that:

    the new instance was set up with a global database name.

what can i do if i want the database link name to be diff from the SID and the global database name or whatever that is!!

pls help..

thanks,
ben