Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Norris <jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk>
Date: 2000/04/13

The rule-based approach is provided for applications that were written before cost-based optimization was available.

In general, you should use the cost-based approach for all new applications

The following features can only use cost-based optimization: o partitioned tables
o partition views
o index-organized tables
o reverse key indexes
o bitmap indexes
o function-based indexes
o SAMPLE clause in a SELECT statement
o parallel query and parallel DML
o star transformation
o star join
o extensible optimization

> While cost based optimization is great and works in most
> cases, it does not always find the best execution path for our queries.
> Thankfully I can go back to rule based queries whenever I want.

In comp.databases.sybase Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote: >> You always use HINT in writing SQL?