Re: creating a flat file, using 2 or more tables

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:52:06 GMT

In article <8ca5l1$btk$1_at_rl0001.unimaas.nl>, "Ruud Schmeitz" <R.Schmeitz_at_MEMIC.UNIMAAS.NL> wrote:
> Hi readers,
>
> We have an Oracle database which contains a parent table and 15
> child tables (1:n).
> Our clients use specific data-analysis software, which requires a
> flat file as input. This flat file (with only 1 record for every
patient)
> should contain the data from the parent table and 1 or more child
> tables.
>
> The question of course is, how to create this flat file ?
> I can't use a SELECT statement for this, because then I get (much)
> more than 1 record for every patient.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this in Oracle ?
>
> Tia,

> "Live Long and Prosper" - Spock
> "And let Wisdom be your Guide" - Spock's brother
>
> Ruud Schmeitz
> Universiteit Maastricht

Without knowing more about how the file needs to look it is a little difficult to answer the question, but using pl/sql and the utl_file package it should be fairly simple as long as all the data for one parent does not have to be in one output record. If that is the case I believe you will need pro*c.
--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Apr 03 2000 - 08:52:06 CDT