Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: <dinoherder_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/23

In article <38D913CF.F6DB1605_at_msgto.com>, Tim Uckun <Malcontent_at_msgto.com> wrote:
> > people will start realizing that SQL Server/Windows 2000 is a
 solution
> > for the Enterprise. The solution will probably be much cheaper than
> > say a Oracle/SUN solution. Wait till the end of this year and look
 at
> > where 2000 datacenter is at and where SQL 2000 can scale and then we
>
> SQL server is in an odd position right now. Enterprise users don't
 trust
> it and certainly don't trust NT to provide them with high uptimes. For
> serious applications they seem to prefer mainframes or Solaris
 clusters.
> This shuts SQL server out of the picture. Also SQL server cost
> calculations have include a per user license for NT as well as SQL
> server so it does not end up cheaper then Oracle or DB/2. You can run
> these on Solaris or Linux neither one of which has a per user fee
> associated with it.

Where are these big micrsoft sites? What large corporation trusts it's books, inventory or whatever you put in a very large database that needs 24/7 uptime? Most large micrsoft installations that I'v read about are just desktops and file servers. I guess if you include web sites you can give some credit to $M for real work.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CST