Re: Oracle 8i / OID

From: Mark Townsend <mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:38:51 -0800

jiles morot wrote:

> Is there any difference between 8i and the Oracle Internet
> Directory one of my engineers just emailed me about? Aren't they
> the same thing? As I understand it, OID is the LDAP-enabled
> version.
>
> Sorry for the ignorance, but I've been doing Netscape LDAP
> solidly for the last year, and prior to that it's been all
> Informix.

Two different things entirely...

The Oracle8i database is LDAP enabled - that is, it will, if required, access an LDAP directory for information on users and roles, and use that information to manage access and system privileges in the database. This allows an LDAP directory to be used as a single point of enterprise management - users only need to be defined once, and enterprise roles can be set up to manage those users across multiple Oracle8i databases. The Oracle8i integration in theory works with all LDAP v3 directories (Netscape, Active Directory and Oracle Internet Directory are the currently certified ones, I believe)

On the other hand, Oracle Internet Directory is Oracle's offering for an LDAP Directory in it's own right - and is an alternative to Netscape, Active Directory and others in this area.

The confusion probably arises due to the fact that Oracle Internet Directory itself uses Oracle8i as it's data store, so the relationship becomes a little circular :-)

--
Regards,

Mark Townsend

Principal Product Manager			Ph: 	(650) 633 5764
Server Division					Fx: 	(650) 506 7222
Oracle Corporation				Email:	mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com