Re: why I can not select form Pro*c?

From: Terry Steyaert <steyaert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:10:15 GMT

<Orignal cut for band-width sake.>

Overall, we have always had problems during selects based upon strings. Our ultimate fix, from Oracle 6 on, has been to space fill the strings to a set length. This seems to clean up the problems that we have had doing exactly what you are doing. If your database column is filled to 20 characters, and your string is filled to the 20 characters, it will work fine. If they are not, it generally doesn't work.

If you can manage it, do your selects based upon integer or number columns as they are much more reliable than strings. With our space fills, I don't get the errors that you are seeing, but before we space filled, occationally strange errors would occur.

Terry Steyaert
steyaert_at_my-deja.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 23 2000 - 12:10:15 CST