Re: Auditing Index usage

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:17:33 -0000

There is no built-in for auditing an index, but if you are very confident about which indexes will not be used, a cheap starting point is to put the redundant ones into the same (small set of) tablespaces, and
then show that the only activity on those tablespaces is write activity.

You could also try arguing the case that if you do a query:

    select * from table where indexed_col = 'constant' and Oracle does not use an index, then Oracle will never use that index. There are a couple of conditions to apply on that argument though - e.g. - getting the correct optimizer_goal, queries which might to a fast-full-scan on the index and avoid the table, other queries which can be satisfied completely inside the index etc. Logic is so much harder than a sledge-hammer ;)

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk