Dynamic Lists and record groups

From: Kevin Hughes <j.k.hughes_at_bangor.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:33:11 +0000

Hi,

I'm trying to create a dynamic poplist (funding_scheme) for a form based on the value selected in another poplist field(sponsor_code), both within the same data block. But I continually get FRM-41072 Cannot create groupr_group_fund and FRM-41076 Error populating group, and then the set_up_list exception (see below)

The sponsor code poplist has a when-list-changed trigger which contains

Declare

	rg_name  VARCHAR2(40) := 'r_group_fund';
	group_id RecordGroup;

etc.

Set_Up_List('rg_award_sponsor.funding_scheme','r_group_fund');

Set_Up_List is a library function that I've adapted from a tutorial book. It works fine on the design time defined poplists that I've created so I don't think the error is there but just in case here's the source.

PROCEDURE Set_Up_List (pList in VARCHAR2, pGroup in VARCHAR2) IS vErrFlag Number := 0;
eListPopulationProblem EXCEPTION;

BEGIN

	VErrFlag := Populate_Group(pGroup);
	IF vErrFlag = 0 THEN
		Clear_List(pList); -- remove anything already there
		Populate_List(pList, pGroup);
	ELSIF vErrFlag =1403 THEN -- No list elements found
		null; -- Do Nothing
	ELSE
		RAISE eListPopulationProblem;
	END IF;
	EXCEPTION
		WHEN OTHERS THEN
		Message('Exception: Could not populate '||pList||' with query in group
'||pGroup||'.');

END;

The error messages seem to suggest that the sql statement in the create group from query statement is incorrect but it's not! Is it possible to do what I'm attempting? Is this the best way of doing this? Or is there a better method? Please bear in mind that this is my first attempt at writing an Oracle Forms application and any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

--
J. Kevin Hughes j.k.hughes_at_bangor.ac.uk Administrative Computing
University of Wales - Bangor